Wednesday 4 July 2018

Cursed Child — Year Three

Last Wednesday I was lucky enough to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child again. It was my sixth time seeing the show in total, but my first time seeing the new cast. 


The company of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

I'd heard a lot about the new intake of wizards from my friends, so I was very excited to see them for myself. Here's a few thoughts on the stand-outs for me.

In my opinion, Joe Idris-Roberts is the most likeable Albus I've seen. On the page, Albus Potter isn't the most agreeable of characters. He's difficult, trying and slightly irksome to say the least. Even when those words are transferred onstage, he's often quite difficult to understand and appreciate.  

Joe Idris-Roberts as Albus Potter,
and Jonathan Case as Scorpius Malfoy

I didn't feel that at all with Joe, he was so easy to understand and empathise with. What I think Joe captured beautifully was Albus's struggle to connect with his family, to fit in, how introverted and self-conscious he is around them, but then how easily he comes to life when Scorpius is by his side.  

Above all, I found it completely believable that Joe was a 14-year-old boy. He wasn't overbearingly full of angst or disdain at not being understood, he was simply a hurting child who felt like the spare, pining to feel a connection with his family and with his father in particular. 

I have much to say about Jonathan Case as Scorpius Malfoy. I've made no secret in the past that Scorpius is my favourite character. Not only is he the character I think I'm most like, he's also the character I wish and aspire to be. 


Jonathan Case as Scorpius Malfoy

I fell a bit in love with Jonathan if I'm being honest. His Scorpius is cheerful, warm and thoughtful. I found myself fascinated by the smallest of mannerisms and nuances in delivery. 

He begins the show hunched over a little, as if nervous, unsure of how to carry himself in public, though quickly relaxes once he finds a kindred spirit in Albus. His other tics include tugging and massaging at his fingers and tensing and shaking his legs when angry or upset. As someone who once suffered with quite intense social anxiety, (and actually had very similar nervous traits) that aspect of his performance affected me in a way I really wasn't expecting.

Jonathan's was a very truthful portrayal of Scorpius Malfoy. I looked forward to his scenes with James Howard (Draco), and enjoyed the bond they had despite playing a father and son struggling to connect.

I told Jonathan at stage door how much his performance had impacted me. The word I used on the night was broken - but in a good way, the best way.

Jamie Ballard plays Harry quite differently to how I've seen before and I was really quite impressed by his interpretation. He's everyone's typical, awkward, funny dad with the added element of being Harry Potter, hero to the wizarding world. He's that little bit more goofy than I've previously seen, almost cringeworthy so, but it's easy to see that it comes from a place of wanting to get closer to his child. Though still impulsive and a little reckless, I really got the sense that his Harry is more careful and considerate than previous incarnations.


Jamie Ballard as Harry Potter

I truly loved Nicola Alexis as Hermione. I'd heard from friends what she was like when she understudied the role, so I was excited to hear she was taking over from Rakie Ayola for a short stint. She plays Hermione in such a refined way, though bold and commanding, she still has that fiery, fun spark. I particularly enjoyed her DADA scene and it was great to chat to Nicola about it at stage door. It was really a very unique and layered performance and I'm so thrilled I got to see her before she moves on in a week's time. 


Nicola Alexis as Hermione Granger

I don't think I've ever mentioned Helen Aluko or Tom Aldridge before, which is strange because I think they're brilliant. 


Nicola Alexis, Helen Aluko and Tom Aldridge,
as Hermione Granger, Rose Granger-Weasley and Ron Weasley, respectively

Helen as Rose Granger-Weasley is just perfect because, well, Rose Granger-Weasley is perfection. I always take away something new from seeing her, whether it be a facial expression, a look or that cheeky grin she does so well. Helen's 'Rose Granger-Weasley, nice to meet you,' kills me every time. 

Ron Weasley as he is in Cursed Child made me appreciate the character in a whole new way. He's no longer someone living in the shadows of his elder brothers, no longer riddled with insecurity and self-doubt. Ron is loyal, loveable and affectionate. He's free to be the fun-loving father who adores his family and friends, willing to lay down his life to keep them safe. Tom is simply perfect. I think it's easy to see that he shares Ron's heart.

The new additions to the script kept things fresh and had me on my toes. The new cast have got me so excited about this story again, and I know it'll only be a matter of time before I book my seventh trip to the Palace Theatre. 

Oh look, I rambled again... 

No comments:

Post a Comment